Happy New Year! Here are a few tips for getting the best from 2017, don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to do them all. Pick out one and have a go. I would love to know how you get on.
1. Be Prepared – Make sure you have the tools BEFORE you need them – build up your resilience BEFORE you need it! There will be times throughout the year when you aren’t operating on full power, when you are feeling ill, depressed, defeated or demotivated. It’s during these times that your resilience and bouncebackability will be tested. You need to build up your resilience BEFOOKRE you need it to enable you to bounce back even stronger than before. What tools and strategies do you incorporate into your daily life to balance your mind, body and soul? Affirmations? The Attitude of Gratitude? Exercise? Get started now so that they become a habit and you automatically put them into practice when you need them. Share your ideas and practices, or find some inspiration on our Facebook Group.
2. Start on a High – Review your year, this can be difficult if you have to rely on your memory, what were you doing last January? Go back through your diary, ask friends and family what are their memories of you?
In preparation for New Year 2018 start an Achievement Jar – Pop a note in there every time you do something you are pleased or proud with – when you’ve stretched your Comfort Zone. It doesn’t have to be a big thing, it could be making that uncomfortable phone call, having an honest conversation, posting a Tweet, running 1km further or some feedback from a client.
Read through these notes at the end of the year, or pick one out if you are in need of inspiration throughout the year. TIP – I put the date on my notes to help give a bit more context to them.
So you are now feeling prepared, motivated and in your Higher Self and ready to take on 2017.
3. Think Big – Get yourself a notebook dedicated to your ideas and thoughts. A pocket size one is good so that you carry it with you. Create 3 sections and label them separately- Section 1-BE, Section 2-HAVE, Section 3-DO.
Over a period of time, days or weeks write down everything you want to BE, HAVE or DO in your lifetime. Don’t limit it just because it doesn’t seem attainable right now. Be creative, let your imagination run wild! You will end up with some long lists, now go through them and ask the questions ‘Why do I want this in my life?’ ‘What will Doing/Being/Having this give me?’ Start to pick out the ones which feel good. Don’t discard the other ones, it might just not be the right time. Now you can start visioning and goal setting.
4. Visioning – Create a vision board, use a canvas, Pintrest, journal whatever feels right. Pictures, words, anything that you want to attract into your life. It could be based on your BE HAVE DO outcomes or a more general area such as work, family, home, health – anything you want to improve or change.
5. Mapping – There are lots of ways to do this, there are some good free mind mapping tools out there, I like to use my flipchart and stick it on my wall allowing me to see it every day. I can add to it and take stock to see how I’m progressing.
6. Goals Setting – we often get hung up on Goal Setting, it can seem a big and daunting activity. Start with small daily goals to get you comfortable and confident with the method– make them SMART.
Specific (What do I want to achieve?) – Today I want to write and publish a New Year blog
Measurable (How will I know I’m on track or not?) – Check in at 11:30am and 2:00pm to see if I am on track for the Time Deadline
Achievable (Have I got the internal resources?) – the skills knowledge and importantly the belief I can do it? – Yes
Realistic (Have I got the external resources?) –Time, quite space, Internet access, information from others….? – Yes
Time Deadline (When do I want to have it completed?) – To have it scheduled by 5pm today
If you want to make sure that this year is even better than last year, why not get in touch? and have a chat or a FREE mini coaching call. I can guide you through the process of uncovering what you want and support and motivate you to make it happen. Why not come along to our Self Development Group (7-9pm Monday 9th January) or workshop (14th January) and get some support and inspiration to help you make 2017 your awesome year. Wishing you an amazing year. X